I believe the greatest gift I can conceive of having from anyone is to be seen by them, heard by them, to be understood and touched by them. The greatest gift I can give is to see, hear, understand and to touch another person. When this is done I feel contact has been made." Virginia Satir
What links a Toy Fox Terrier, knitting and a “disappearing” geek? Meet Doug Upchurch, Learning Innovation Strategist at Insights...
- If Doug were an animal what would he be?
Doug would be one of his three Toy Fox Terriers, Lola, Coco and Spirit as they are well taken care of!
- Lola is mostly Sunshine Yellow and Earth Green and believes that she is both the Queen of and the protector of the castle.
- Coco is mostly Fiery Red and Sunshine Yellow and is convinced that everyone else is here to make her life fun.
- Spirit is the Introvert. She is Cool Blue followed by Earth Green. She is very friendly as long as it’s on her terms and not a lot of other people are around.
- What is Doug's Insights Discovery Wheel position?
Doug sits at position 149 on the Insights Discovery wheel and is inclined to use the Earth Green, Fiery Red, and Sunshine Yellow energies while a little more reluctant to use Cool Blue. From his Discovery Personal Profile, we know that Doug:
- senses the needs of the group
- is a calming presence in conflict resolution
- is supportive, steadfast and encouraging of others
- Doug's defining moment at Insights (so far...)
There have been so many; however, the most defining moment for Doug was at the very beginning... November, 10 1999 when he was asked by the North American Director at the time to open the first US Office in Austin. As Doug explains:
"I was humbled. It was the beginning of an amazing journey for me that I cannot imagine otherwise".
- Who is Doug's hero?
It might seem like an odd combination but Oprah Winfrey and Gandhi. Neither one of them let anyone tell them what they could or could not do. They stood up for what they believed in, which at its core was the dignity and value of all human beings. It’s the combination of Earth Green and Fiery Red that Doug loves so much.
- How you may meet Doug
When Doug's not working at his desk in Austin on projects for the Executive or Regional Managers Team, he's often working with clients, teaching Insights Accreditations and Qualifications, or facilitating internal meetings and events.
And when not at work you'll likely find Doug running, geeking out on his tech toys, enjoying a good meal, or listening to music.
In April 2012, Doug made a decision that he needed to get healthy and couldn’t wait any longer. With a goal of losing 100 pounds, Doug is disappearing before our eyes as he is now over 80% towards his goal. He also discovered running during this time and ran his first half marathon in early 2012.
As a long time geek, Doug has always had lots of hobbies that require him to be “plugged in” to technology. And given his passion for technology, Doug was shocked when one Saturday in May 2010, he woke up and decided that he wanted to take a knitting class. He found a class that day and has been literally hooked ever since.
- Scratch the surface and you'll find
You don’t have to scratch too much to find out Doug's a man that cares deeply about people and the work that they do at Insights.
As Doug explains: "For me it’s about creating the space where people can experience abundance, success, and full self-acceptance".